Article Databases for International Studies
- Academic Search Complete This huge multi-disciplinary database has full-text for over 7000 journals, including over 6000 that are peer-reviewed. It also has abstracts for an additional 11,000 journals. This database is a good starting point for many research projects.
- LexisNexis Academic This database has several distinct modules. Two important ones are "News" and "Legal Research." "News" has more than 350 newspapers full-text from the U.S. and around the world as well as news magazines, broadcast transcripts, etc. "Legal" has federal and state case law, federal codes and regulations, and state codes among a host of other legal materials.
- JSTOR: Arts & Sciences I, II & III Journals included are available from their first year to recently (usually 3-5 years) in full text. Searches may be limited by subject area.
- Sage Journals Online This interdisciplinary schoarly journal database that can be limited to full-text available to SOU
Journals by Title
How do I find a particular journal?
- Open the Hannon Library Catalog.
- Select “In the title” from the first dropdown.
- Select “Starts with” from the second dropdown.
- Enter the journal title in the search box.
- Select Material Type: “Journals.”
- Hit Search.
If we have it, you should see results appear in a list. Click “View Online” to see options for reading the journal online. Click “Get it” to learn more about what physical print issues we have.
If you don’t see any links, then we probably don’t have it and you can request the article through Interlibrary Loan. It will take 1-7 business days and costs $2 for SOU students for each article. You will receive it electronically when it arrives.
Websites for International Studies
HLAS (Handbook of Latin American Studies (English Interface) - The online Handbook of Latin American Studies is a searchable, annotated bibliography of scholarly works on Latin American social sciences and humanities. Updated weekly by Library of Congress. Search also in Spanish or Portuguese. Mostly provides citations without links to full-text, Hannon Library Catalog, or InterLibrary Loan for articles or InterLibrary Loan for books. Find out about article availabltiy by searching through the Journals by Title link.
United Nations - Well organized gateway to UN and its many agencies and other sub-parts.
Peace Corps Digital Library - Gateway to government documents and personal narritives related to the Peace Corps program.